Thursday, May 13, 2010

Playing the Sexy Name Game Pays Off!

Hello bloggity friends!

This month only, I am teaching a class called "The Shape Bikini Body Workout."  I am doing this because the club has a partnership with Shape Magazine for the month of May, and one sculpt class per club has changed its name (and ONLY its name) for the month to celebrate.  I volunteered my PureStrength class for the name makeover because I thought it might pull in some people who have never taken my class.  I must note that I did not change the content of my class at all.  I do the same exercises in Tuesday's Bikini Body class as I do in Sunday's PureStrength class.  In fact, when I walked in to teach my first class at the top of the month, I had completely forgotten about the name change...

until I saw the huge crowd of women on the floor, jockeying for space and the last few 5 and 8-pound weights in the bin.  Now, I always have good numbers, but this was incredible.  What the... *DING!  LIGHT BULB MOMENT!

These women were new to my class, eager as hell, with a look in their eyes that implored me... "Please, please give us the answer!  The perfect bikini body!  Can I get it in the next 45 minutes?"  And the men in the room, who are used to my PureStrength format and hadn't thought to check the new schedule, were looking around, bewildered and pleased at the same time!

So I changed my script, fast.  I started talking about how all of the exercises we do with our own body weight are SO, like, totally doable in the Hamps by the pool!  How instead of the dumbbells you can fill last night's vodka bottle with water and improvise at the Jersey Shore!  I laughed at myself, they laughed at me, and my classes have been at capacity ever since.  No weights or mats to spare.  And guess what?  I'm never changing those classes back.  Would you?  Below are my before and after class descriptions:

My regular PureStrength description:
"A complete body conditioning class.  All muscle groups are explored in this constant functional movement class with cardio components."  (This is a respectable description.  Honest, no frills, straight to the point.  Masculine, even, which would explain why I have a steady stream of dudes and serious fearless women in that class).

The Shape Bikini Body Workout description:
"Get bikini ready with the best exercises dedicated to flatten your abs, tone your legs, and sculpt your hips and butt.  This is the perfect integrated strength, cardio, and power sculpting workout designed to melt away fat- just in time for bikini season!"  (This is a brilliant description.  Women don't even have a choice in the matter.  Basically says the same thing as the PureStrength description, except the great phrase "melt away" and the key words "tone," "flatten," "perfect" and "bikini" grab the female eye, not to mention the exclamation point at the end!  Yeah!  Work it, sisters!!)

I am in love with this revelation.  Not only has it gotten my creative juices flowing and helped me step up my teaching game, but my students are actually working harder.  They have a specific goal, and they WANT it bad.  And I am so happy to help them!  Now of course i must mention that the secret to a bikini body or dream body of any kind is persistence, and a regular, consistent workout schedule combined with a balanced diet.  This schedule may or may not include classes that have the word "bikini" in them.  Friends, the bottom line is, get your ass to the gym 4-5 times a week, work your butt off, go home and eat right, and you will have the bikini body.  But for now, I'm totally fine managing the throngs of thong-hungry cuties at 44th and Lex.  I should partner with a spa so everyone can do my workout and then get a bikini wax.  Any takers???

As for me?  I want to be the Bikini Body Spokeswoman.  I'm getting cute for class, wearing little matching outfits that show my bod and maintaining glossy lips, enjoying being a girly girl in fitness, making new connections with my peeps, making my managers happy, feeling great.  I love when people come to me for help.  I admit it!  I think my next class will be called "The Double Your Income in 2010 Workout."  I will teach it at Wall Street.  With the PureStrength format.  Or how about " The Find the Love Of Your Life In The Next Two Weeks Workout..."  I will charge extra for that one!

All joking aside, here's the secret formula.  Take care of your body.  Take care of your mind.  Get plenty of rest.  Find a spiritual practice.  Live in gratitude.  Laugh and have fun.  Add lots of water, enjoy!

Join me for the Shape Bikini Body Workout:
Tuesdays 7:15-8pm at Equinox Tribeca
Wednesdays 6:15-7pm at Equinox 44th and Lexington
For this month only!  (or is it????)

OR:  PureStrength!
Sundays 10am at Equinox 19th and Broadway
Fridays 12:30-1:15pm at Equinox Columbus Circle

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant E...I actually think you should do special titles...intentions, as you know, are quite powerful! See ya Tuesday night!XO

    ReplyDelete