Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Every Rose Has its Thorn

I am sitting alone in my hotel room in Cincinnati, catching up on a few of my fave blogs (you MUST check out the best running blog I've ever read, Michelle Hates To Run), and I realized that my blogger profile still read "soon to be married woman."  I got married on September 25, so I changed my profile to read "wife" instead. 

My husband was here last weekend and got to see me in the show for the first time.  I was excited, and he was loving and supportive and proud, as he always has been, and always will be.  When I first saw the show Off Broadway in the fall of 2008, he was there, and he turned to me and said, "You HAVE to be in this show."  He not only supported my dream to do ROA, but also shared my dream as if it were his own.  He wanted it because I wanted it.  And when I got it, he insisted that I sign on, despite the fact that the contract conflicted with our wedding, honeymoon, and that sacred first year of marriage.  It's the relationship you dream about, the marriage that skeptics say isn't possible, and it's mine.  He is my perfect match, my best friend, my soul mate.  And those pecs... whew!  ;)

If this dream job of mine has any downside, it's that I have to live my life away from him.  Aside from our Saturday morning coffee talk over skype, we see each other every two weeks.  He patiently endures the endless commuting, delays, and drama at the NYC airports for a quick two night stay anywhere I am.  He brings me my mail and waits for me at the stage door, always with a silly grin and open arms.  He banters with my new friends and sings along in the audience.  And, no matter what city we're playing, when we crawl into bed at night, we cuddle up, look at each other, and say, simply, "home."

I don't know how to express the magnitude of my gratitude for him.  So I figured a blog shout out wouldn't be a bad place to start.  I love my life and I adore my job, but I miss him every day.  I am, however, grateful for the feeling, because I'd rather miss him than not know what it feels like to have that Great Love.

The point of this entry is this:  We are all worthy of Great Love.  And we should all experience it.  If I can, you can.  Please don't settle for less.  Be specific, hold out for your dream, communicate, and enjoy.  It is possible. 

7 comments:

  1. You ROCK my friend! I needed to read the last paragraph over again, as I need to live by your words. THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always Home with you my love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are my inspiration. Really. You are a force of nature and make life look better (even today after elections, LOL)

    You rock Erica and I am endless proud because I had the privilege to be in your classes and to enjoy your joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful. thank you for the reminder. (check out the song home by edward sharpe and the magnetic zeroes) love and miss you, erika!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just LOVE this. You guys know it, but it never hurts to say it too much... you are my inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the shout out, Erika!!! I'm done with the blog now - working on the book version. A new adventure, I'll say! Writing a book might actually be harder than running! (But I don't hate it.) xx

    ReplyDelete