Friday, March 4, 2011

Faithfully Yours

Well my friends, thanks for hanging in there after my last cliffhanger post!  We made it through the L.A. experience (separate blog on that to come- it deserves its own post) and came out clean on the other side.  We are currently rocking in beautiful Costa Mesa, CA, and things are clearer.  Much much clearer.  
My last post spoke cryptically about change and decisions and faith, etc... well, I can now tell you what's going down.
For most of you who follow all things Rock of Ages, you know that two weeks ago, we lost Joey Calveri to the Wonderland machine.  Joey's departure was the first of several on the horizon, and while we celebrate his Broadway debut and the addition of the crazy talented (and super fun) Justin Sargent to our band of leather-clad thieves, it was the catalyst for much more change.  This week we lose our dear, dear Rebecca Faulkenberry and Mig Ayesa, who are jet-setting back to NYC to re-open ROCK OF AGES on Broadway (March 24 at the Helen Hayes, people!  Get your tix!) along with our own Dan Domenech.  As you can imagine, it is a huge loss, to lose two of your principal actors on the same day.  Tears are already welling up as we anticipate their departure next Monday, and as I reminisce on the past six months, I feel so grateful to have been part of the original clan, this family that found each other in the name of rock, on the dusty road, on a wobbly contract (sorry SETA but let's call a spade a spade).  Bound together by the HEART that drives this show and the support of the creative team and producers, we find ourselves teetering on the brink of change.
New on the scene this week are the wickedly talented Elicia MacKenzie and Peter Deiwick as Sherrie and Stacee Jaxx (respectively).  They come from us directly from the Toronto cast of ROA, and having seen them in rehearsal this week, they are going to be phenomenal.  I am really excited to work with them both, which leads me to my next big reveal.
After much reflection (and many conversations with both agent and husband), I have decided to sign on for another six months.  I am very excited to share that I will be taking over as Dance Captain as of April 11 (I can’t even talk about losing Lindsay yet so I won’t), and the three of us felt it was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up.  I am SO excited to wear this new hat.  I am also nervous, as it’s a huge responsibility.  But I am up for it, I am ready for it, and I am really looking forward to it!  Of course, for all of my peeps at home in NYC, this means I will NOT be returning to teach for a little while longer.  I know you understand why I made the choice I did, and I am ever grateful for your support in this journey.  I love you and miss you, and look forward to seeing you again after the summer.  I know you are well taken care of, as I love getting your updates and keeping up with you on Facebook.
So, things are still shifting into place, but they have a concrete destination at the moment.  New people, new cities, new adventures are on the horizon.  I am grateful.  I do struggle daily with the idea of being away from my husband for another few months.  But, as my post-ROA goal is to get pregnant, I am embracing this opportunity to tour the USA and absorb all it has to offer.  I am blessed with the best husband in the world, who supports my dream as if it were his own.  I recently expressed my feelings to a close friend about how I feel like people judge me for choosing to be apart from him during our first year of marriage, and she beautifully pointed out that it is a wonderful gift to spend our first year of marriage exploring so many cities across America together.  Thank you Erin for that gift of perspective.  Next stop on our extended honeymoon: San Fran!
Well, lights out for me, as we have a put-in tomorrow for Peter and Elicia and I want work out and grab a green juice at 118 Degrees beforehand!  Speaking of which, I am reading The Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr at the moment, and I am INSPIRED to change my eating habits!  Do yourself a favor and pick up this book.  Carr (a cancer survivor who also penned Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips) is witty, sassy, and well-versed in doing a body good.  AND she mentions intenSati in her book... love it!
Much love to you today and always!  We gotta have faith!
Erika

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post and congratulation! My perspective on the first year of separation is this: They say the first year is the hardest. You guys get to skip it and go straight to the fun part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your phrasing is perfect my love: this IS an extended honeymoon across America! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome and I love that you follow your heart and inspire us all to do the same. You make living your dream look easy. I think it is an awesome decision! You do have an awesome husband and being able to be apart your first year of marriage proves it. He is letting you be you. Ah Sweet. I love you both and can't wait to hold a little baby Shannon-Hathaway! We will be pushing strollers together one day!
    You always have my support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the new hat. I have worn it many of times that hat, enjoy, the ride! Great Decision!

    ReplyDelete